Tuesday, June 05, 2007

I love International Football

The international actions.. Watched it and collapsed the next day.

First it was Germany vs San Marino Live at 0050

First half, fine fine display by the San Marino's defense. But nearing half time Kevin Kuranyi managed to nudge one goal. The second half, I figure those San Marinoans (am I correct here?) were exhausted. Playing with only 10 men did not help. They conceded 5 more. The highlight of the match must be the second goal by Mario Gomez. So impressive! I love how he casually flicked the ball into goal by the back foot action. It was only his second cap for the NT and he already scored 3 goals.

The match result was predicted anyway. Though maybe we all thought the Germans could've won it with a larger margin. And, what happened to Miroslav Klose?? Not even one goal. I almost felt sorry for that guy.

Germany 6 - 0 San Marino

And then it was France vs Ukraine Live at 0300

If England managed not to qualify for Euro 2008 (with the stooopid McClaren at the manager's helm I'm afraid if this could be the case), I'm sooo rooting for the French.

I love the France National Team. I must admit that my Pak Busu was the one who introduced me to the team. I remembered being astonished when he told me that the famous Zinedine Zidane is a Muslim, and Zinedine is the French way of spelling Zainuddin. Pak Busu also told me how after France won the World Cup the French publics are more accepting towards Muslims. That was back in 1998. Zidane is retired now. But not before the head butting incident. (And that is why Italy is one of the NTs that I don't like. Ee.. tali..)

And, the sight of two Muslim France players performing the du'a on the pitch before the match started on Sunday makes me very ---!!. The feeling was indescribable. Especially the sight of Samir Nasri with both his palms facing upwards, head bents, mouth reciting. Now, if following the tone of my previous posts about footballers I could be typing this:

Samir Nasri!
He's French, He's young!
He's brilliant!
He's so cute!!

But it seems inappropriate with the mood that he brought with his performance. He is very young for a senior NT player. He is only 19, but played with such confidence, always staying on his feet even when being pushed and tackled by a number of defenders. He is (in my humble opinion) a gifted playmaker. It was also only his second call up for the France NT. I also smiled hearing his name being shouted by other players. Samir! here, and Samir! there, directing him to be where they want him to be. So cute! (uncontrollable inappropriateness, please forgive).

The two goals of the match were scored by two Muslim French. First it was by Franck Ribery. The second goal was by a brilliant performance from Nicholas Anelka, the other player who cited du'a before the match. It seems like his prayer was answered. :)

If not for any other reasons, this is why I'm going to definitely wish France will win Euro 2008. We're used to seeing the sight of players crossing themselves before entering the pitch. I don't think it is a propaganda or anything. It just happens that so many of professional footballers are Christians and the gesture is part of their ritual for asking assistance from the Higher Force, but it feels so refreshing to finally see a Muslim player doing the same ritual but of Islamic nature on the international stage. I feel very proud. Especially after feeling disgusted of the blatant advert ism of the "I Belong to Jesus" shirt worn by Kaka' during the CL Final. He's a Brazillian who plays for an Italian club. Why is the message in English? Why not in Portugese or Italian?

So... go France!

Wow.. so many thoughts and emotions from a single match.

France 2-0 Ukraine

Next match I watched was the Latvia vs Spain Delayed at 0650

Hmm.. I don't know what to comment. It was kind of boring. The goals should have come sooner. But maybe the feeling comes from me being dead tired and sleepy and having to listen to a lousy commentator. Always saying the wrong player's name. Announcing the first goal was a David Villa's goal when in fact it was a Latvia's own goal and confusing between Xavi Hernandez and Xabi Alonso. Aiyya.. I'm a Liverpool fan who watch Xabi plays every week. I know his running style, his passing style. That is soo not Xabi Alonso!

But, seeing Xabi's smile after watching him cried at CL Final makes the sleepiness and tiredness worth it.. in a way. So, don't you dare sign for Barca Xabi!

Latvia 0-2 Spain

I did not watch the rest of the matches. But the Denmark vs Sweden? Has it really been decided that it's 0-3? What happened to Denmark's 3 goals? I know the red card and penalty is deserved. It was Poulsen's fault for punching Rosenberg at the first place. But abolishing all the Danish goals because of one stupid fan? It's a little bit unfair, I think. But it's the same referee from the CL Final. No wonder. The same ref who ended the match a full 30 seconds earlier. Allow me to be gleeful of his attack then.

Ahhh.. tomorrow is the same cycle again. Expect me to be nonexistent on Thursday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there

Disgusted by kaka having a "i belong to jesus" t-shirt?

Be thankful that he's a christian, and committed to it

I understand that your muslim, but we must be all respectful to othe religions (whatever the politics)

in this age, modern footballers are also young men, who cares what language the words are in. Shouldn't you be praising someone who is not only religious but also holy? (he was a virgin on his wedding night)

have respect please