Saturday, January 19, 2019

KonMaried

After feeling left out, the unpopular kid in school for so long reading people discussing about shows they watched on Netflix, I surrendered to the temptation of consumerism and subscribed to the service.

One of the first shows I watched is of course, Tidying Up with Marie Kondo. There are so many polarizing sentiments about her, but I like this one insight about the KonMari method: she's giving you permission to let go.

I know a few hoarders in my life, I've always wonder what makes them so hard to throw stuffs away. Perhaps permission is one of the things lacking.

I like how Marie tells us to say thank you to the stuffs you are letting go. I never had any problem throwing stuffs before, but this mindful way of separating with your belongings is something new. Whenever I do any cleaning, it is almost guaranteed that I'd throw away multiple bags of stuffs. (I guess that's what happened to my teenage diaries. A past Fadzlin on a cleaning mission decided written proofs of teenage angst were too embarrassing to keep).

But now, rather than feeling sad of separating with my stuffs, I feel sad at the amount of waste I'm creating. The earth is not large enough for all the rubbish humankind create, and it is also the Muslim girl in me who doesn't want to be a friend of shaiton.

I guess the solution is to live a minimalist lifestyle. Although I don't know if I'm ready for the kind of image change where I'm wearing only a few outfits repeatedly, it is something that I can try?

No comments: