Friday, December 14, 2018

A Wall

The world is always a challenge when you're a youth, but lately I feel that things are a bit harder for them.

I remember being 17, 18, 19, ... 22 all the years of being foolish, hormonal, out of place, unprepared. The days of questioning your feelings, feeling unfit in your own clothes. Luckily for me, the days of feeling unsettled were rare... and I had a great support system (here's a shout to Mak Ina & Achik. only Allah can ever repay).

Now that I am teaching the youths, I feel unprepared still. This time of not knowing how to support them, especially emotionally. I know firsthand how devastating emotions can be.

Yesterday was my last class with a group of students, that I am also an Academic Advisor of. I have to admit, now that I've been teaching for five years, it is harder for me to remember names and faces. I always feel guilty because of this, especially because these students are supposed to be my 'children'. I feel that I haven't done enough for them, didn't connect as much. I am not the most 'hip' lecturer, I think students mainly remember me for being stern. But I do want them to know that I can be there, even beyond asking me academic stuffs.

So yesterday, I just wanted so much to hug them. I hugged all my female students, telling them things are tough, but they can hang on. They can overcome. It is the last week of the semester, and these poor souls are saddled with due dates and tests. Some were awkward with the hug/touch, but there were those who cried. How heavy their emotional weight must be.

Today is my birthday. Looking back from the position of being thirty-something, I could see myself telling my younger self that: your early twenties would be one of the most challenging periods of your life, but hang in there.. things do get better.

I wish I can assure the same to my students. I wish I am more equipped with the right skills to be a wall of support.

No comments: