Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Workplace of My Heart

Today I'm saying goodbye yet again to Mesiniaga, and this time I'm feeling even more devastated.

Mesiniaga.. is like a beloved and cherished first boyfriend. The one that knows you the most, and the one that you always come back to for guidance, and perpetual comfortable presence.

I was in Mesiniaga for four times. Back in 2004 I did my practical training for my Diploma program. Then in 2008 I came back again, this time interning for the Degree program. After I finished the practical duration, I took a few weeks break and then was employed again, this time as a casual worker. Finally when I had to leave for the third time, I left with an instruction to contact them again the minute I graduate.

The rest is history, I graduated and contacted the HR Manager who immediately arranged an interview for me. I thought I flunked the interview (I certainly did flunk the technical test) but apparently because they already know me, they are confident that I should be employed.

During this eleven months, I've learned a lot. I was attached to many projects, I had the chance to go to many offices. (PNB is charming in the way they preserve their building, it reminds me of 70s, 80s malay movies where they have scenes in the office. MATRADE is sparkling new, the building with a hole in the middle, and constant traffic jams whenever a high profile case is being heard in the nearby Palace of Justice. BNM is like a 5 stars hotel, the lobby, the toilet, the executive cafe, and the experience of getting to meet the Governor. BURSA, I regret to inform I never get to see a live trading, but the foodcourt in nearby Menara Maybank serve the best Nasi Goreng Ikan Masin in town. UiTM is.. UiTM. Hee.)

But most of all, I appreciate all the relationships I made during this time. I am blessed that I am surrounded with wonderful colleagues. Especially during the first few months when almost everything seems alien and a problem could take forever to solve. They helped me, guided me, understood my limitations and above all became my friends.

Beyond missing the building, ladies days at the swimming pool, various ceramahs from all-too-funny ustazs, delicious breakfasts and lunches at twelfth floor, taking a break by raiding the well-stocked locker in the unoccupied workstation for mamees, and sitting (sometimes twirling) at my beloved workstation, I will miss my friends' company and support the most.

When I told my manager my intention to resign to further my study, he said that he wishes that our path is gonna cross again. With all my heart I sincerely hope so.

No comments: